Anemia Home Remedies
Anemia means lack of blood in the body. This disorder occurs in the body when red blood cells (RBC) count decreases in body. Red blood cells contain a protienicious compound bounded by iron. It is known as hemoglobin. As the name also suggest, hemoglobin is composed of two things, heme- the iron compound and globin- the protein part. The main and the foremost utility of hemoglobin in body is to carry oxygen from lungs and then supply it to the various tissues of the body. It is also responsible in imparting red color to our blood. Formation of the hemoglobin very much depends on the amount of proper and nutritive diet intake. There may also be some pathological conditions which also effects the hemoglobin formation. Normal values of hemoglobin vary from 13 to 16 mg/dl in adult male and 11 to 15 mg/dl in normal adult female.
Classification of anemia
- Aplastic anemia: it is the condition in the body when production of red blood cells ceases.
- Megaloblastic anemia : an anemic condition caused by vitamin deficiency specially folic acid and vitamin B12 deficiency. This condition effects the proper production of hemoglobin and the hemoglobin formed is weak in nature. This weak hemoglobin lacks the capability of carrying the oxygen properly hence leads to anemia.
- Iron deficiency anemia : the most common category of anemia countered world wide. It occurs due to less amount of oxygen in body due various factors like dietary, metabolic etc.
- Pernicious anemia : this type of anemia occur when the body is not able to absorb cyanacobalamin i.e. vitamin B12 which is extremely important in production of hemoglobin.
- Inherited anemia : this is a condition which is been passed on through gene in a family. The common types of the disease is the that are included in this category are:
- Sickle cell anemia: in this the cells shapes like sickle which is incapable of carrying oxygen thus depriving the body tissue from being supplied with the required nutrition and oxygen.
- Thalassemia: this is the condition in which codons lack the certain genes that are very essential for formation of hemoglobin
- Diseased condition : Certain diseased conditions like that of kidneys, liver etc are some times responsible in the decreased production of red blood cells hence leading to anemia
- Follow the famous saying that “an apple a day keeps a doctor away. Just modify it to two three apples a day and keep doctor away. Apple is rich in iron content and there fore it is quite helpful in substituting iron in the body.
- Animal proteins and organic meats like that of kidney and liver are rich in vitamins especially vitamin B12, which is very essential in hemoglobin production.
- Regular intake of teas and coffee should be avoided so as to facilitate normal absorption of iron in body.
- One of the most important in cure of anemia is beets. Its juice is rich in minerals like sulphur, iron, calcium and iodine. It also contains surplus carbohydrates and proteins that are needed in body. It is also very helpful in substituting various vitamins like thiamine (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), ascorbic acid (vitamin C) etc.
- Naturopaths recommend cold water bath especially in morning, helps in stimulating bodies’ enzymatic action and metabolism which is very essential compensating hemoglobin loss.
- Weakly ten minutes bath of hot Epsom and cold friction is good in curing anemia.
- Red blood cells get stimulated by regular sun bath, hence recommended for people who suffer from anemia.
- Figs, 3 to 4 in quantity are advised by herbal doctors to anemic patients.
- Honey, apple cider vinegar and lemon have proved to be beneficial for anemic patients when consumed early morning empty stomach.
- Regular body massage helps in triggering some of the essential and vital points in the body which are helpful in maintaining the normal level of blood in the body.
- Ascorbic acid commonly known as vitamin C is necessary for our body as it helps in absorption of iron in our body. Hence amla (Indian gooseberry) is highly recommended by herbal medicine doctors in even severe anemic cases as it has abundance of vitamin C.
- Performing yogic exercise like sarvang asana, uttanpada asana and shav asana and breathing exercises like doing pranayam and kapal bhati helps in normalizing the hormonal and enzymatic activities in our body essential for normal functioning of body