The most common health problem that affects women after a certain age is varicose veins. Though men are not spared, women are more affected by the problem of varicose veins.
In varicose veins, the blood vessels beneath the skin swell. The swelling appears either because the walls of the veins are damaged or the valves that carry the blood in the veins are not functioning properly. Normally, the veins in the legs carry blood from legs to the heart. There are valves present in the veins which prevent the blood from flowing backwards and ensure that the blood reaches the heart. When the valves get damaged, it cannot prevent the backward flow of blood completely. As a result, there is accumulation of blood in the legs. The veins swell as there is more than required blood in the legs. Blue or green bulging lines appear on the legs like spider.
Varicose veins cause pain in the legs. Such pain in quite severe for people who have to walk more or whose job require standing for long period of time. People who are obese or over weight can also suffer from varicose veins as their legs are burdened with more weight. In addition to the physical pain, mental stress is also involved. Veins bulge and blue-green lines are prominent on legs. Ladies with varicose veins can no longer wear clothes that show off their dainty legs.
Though varicose veins generally appear in the legs, it may appear else where in the body also. The surgical treatment for varicose veins involves removing the affected veins without much complication. With the advent of laser therapy, the treatment has become even less complicated. Yoga can prove quite effective in varicose veins. While seating on the floor, stretch the legs forward. Stretch toes of one leg at a time. Repeat the same with the other leg. Rotate the feet in clockwise and in anti clock wise direction. Do the exercise daily to get away from the pain of Varicose Veins. While sleeping, elevate your legs by tucking a pillow under your legs. This will prevent the blood from flowing backwards and ease the pain.
Certain diet also helps curing Varicose Veins:
- Fibers: Eat at least 40 grams of fiber everyday.
- Eat plenty of fruits rich in Vitamin C and bioflavonoids -citrus fruits, berries etc.
- The fibrin around the varicose veins is broken by food supplements like onion, garlic and ginger. Add these to your diet to strengthen the walls of the legs.
- Eat plenty of vegetables like spinach, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots for fiber.
- Eat food rich in fiber to avoid constipation and relieve the legs of the pressure. Oats, barley, beans and peas are rich in fiber.
Avoid certain food to prevent Varicose veins from aggravating. These include:
- Avoid food rich in fat like cheese, cream, fried foods, white sugar, ice creams etc so that you don’t gain additional weight.
- Avoid food that will constipate your stomach-strong coffee, refined flour, starchy foods, bread etc.