Preventing Constipation in Children - Some Important Suggestions
Constipation in children is a very common issue all over the world. Children today are increasingly subsisting on foods that are not advisable for them. The school hours are only getting longer, and with both parents working in most houses, proper nutrition for children is neglected. Also, children are becoming constitutionally weaker with each passing generation (with the world becoming hotter and more polluted day by day, what else can we expect?) and that is the reason why constipation is affecting very young digestive systems in present times.
Prevention of constipation in children is very important because it might cause several complications if neglected, and in some cases it might even prove fatal or might require surgery. Medicines like triphala can help to cure constipation in children in the beginning, but in cases of extremely complicated constipation, aggressive medical methods such as using purgatives and cleanout therapies will need to be implemented.
Here we provide some of the most important points you need to know for preventing constipation in children:-
- Inculcate a bowel motion habit in your child since the early days, i.e. when you give them the first lessons in potty training. Make it a habit for them to have a bowel motion daily, preferably in the morning before leaving for school.
- You are responsible for the diet of the child. Make sure that the child has adequate amounts of fiber in the diet. Children do not like their veggies, but you can look for some recipes on the Internet that can teach you palatable ways of feeding vegetables to your kids. Learn several salad preparations. Most times, salads will provide all the fiber content that your child needs to have.
- As soon as possible, set a routine for your child with his/her eating habits. Make sure the dinner is never too late. For children, an eight o'clock dinner is the limit. It should never be late than that.
- Early on, teach children to respect their food. Do not encourage habits like reading books, watching the television, etc. when eating. This causes the children to chew their food improperly and then it becomes harder to digest. You must tell them how important it is to chew their food properly.
- It is good for children to have a glass of milk each night before retiring. If possible, add a teaspoonful of ghee to this milk. If your child has this daily, constipation will never be a problem.
- Water is the best drink the child must have. Very few children understand that, and quite sadly, most parents too encourage their kids to have colas and even tea and coffee. This is not good for children, because they cannot digest these drinks properly, it adds to the fire in their intestinal system and constipation is bound to happen.
- Make sure your child's diet is well-supplemented with fresh fruits, especially the citrus ones.
- Do not encourage your kids to stay up late. The body needs to rest to allow the digestive system to work properly. Sleeping later and then getting up early in the morning to leave for school, does not allow the digestive system to function properly.