Exercise for Headaches
Exercise headaches are caused after constant sessions of strenuous exercises. This might be a new thing to you, as till now you know that there are several benefits of exercising. But over exercising can be bad for your overall body and exercise headaches is a way in which your body brings it to your notice that you are straining yourself to much while exercising. Weightlifting, swimming, tennis, power training and hiking are some of the kinds of exercises that can cause exercise headaches if you don’t to in certain limits.
Types of Exercise Headaches -
- Primary Exercise Headaches – These are harmless headaches and will get cured after some time on their own without any treatment. Such types of headache don’t indicate any kind of underlying conditions. Among all the exercise headaches only 50% headaches belong to this category.
- Secondary Exercise Headaches – This type of headaches are serious, as they indicate presence of some serious health ailment like hypertension or brain tumor, etc.
Symptoms of Exercise Headaches -
- Throbbing pain in the head, skull, forehead after you are done with you rigorous exercise session.
- Pain in both sides of the head that can last from five minutes to forty eight hours.
- Nausea, vomiting
- Blurred vision
- Neck stiffness
- Increased sensitivity to light, sound and smell
Treatments for Exercise Headaches -
If you get headaches immediately after finishing your exercises then it is a sign that you are suffering from exercise headaches. Make your appointment with your doctor and take their opinion also. The cause of the headache will decide the kind of treatment that will work for you. The treatments will be different for primary and secondary exercise headaches. For primary headaches the over the counter drugs are also helpful in giving cure from the headaches. You can also get benefited by doing Yoga, meditation and acupressure. Have a balanced diet and drink plenty of water to prevent yourself from dehydration. In case of secondary headaches you will have no option but to follow your doctor’s advise.
If you are highly active in sports and also do lots of exercises then there are chances that your headaches can be nothing else but effort migraine. Due to intense exercising your body temperature rises and this causes headaches. The increased temperature dilates the blood vessels and thus causes exercise headaches in you. In this case of headaches before the headaches will begin you will see flashing lights. Once started such headaches can last for up to six hours and are really painful. Your doctor will prescribe you the regular medicines that are giving to the patients suffering from migraines. There are certain non-steroidal drugs that the doctor will advise you to take before beginning the exercises.
Many times if while exercising the blood pressure in the blood vessels can get increased and this can also result in throbbing pain in the back of the head. Here too the pain will be unbearable and can last for up to six hours. Such type of pain can be cured with the help of painkillers available over the counter.