How to get rid of the Headache
On the onset a headache may not seem very disturbing, but a severe headache can be unnerving. It can spoil your routine and can be very irritating. The head spins. Before trying to get rid of the headache, it better to get to the root of the headache. Headache could be the result of some other disease, for example-high blood pressure.
Reasons for getting a headache - Stress /High Blood Pressure: Stress can cause headache. An increase in blood pressure over the normal range of 120/80 can cause headache. Over work can also lead to headache. Straining of neck and eyes can also cause headaches. These headaches may be temporary. These headaches are prominent in females.
Headaches as a result of migraine can be very severe. It may be followed by nausea, vomiting. Person becomes over sensitive to bright lights and high decibel sound. Unless the person takes rest, the headache worsens. It may last for about 72 hours. About 60% of women suffer from migraine. Person suffering from migraine may need doctor’s help. When a migraine occurs, shy away from routine chores and lie down in a peaceful and a dark room. Apply hot or cold compresses to your head and neck. Drinking hot tea or coffee may also help.
Cluster headaches - These types of headache may come and go continuously for weeks together. The pain starts suddenly and gets severe within seconds. This may affect one side of the head. It may be accompanied by blocked nose and watery eyes. A cluster headache can prevail for many months. A person may be attacked by one or more cluster headaches a day. It may remain for a period of 15 minutes to up to three hours.
It makes a person feel restless and difficult to sleep during a cluster headache. The incidence of cluster headaches is very rare. It affects around one percent of adult population. Over the counter pain relievers are infective for treating a cluster headache and Headaches that prevail for about 15 days in a month may be considered as chronic headaches. Continuous pain is experienced on either or both the sides of the head. About 5 % of population is affected by chronic headache. It is cured by taking preventive medicines.
Home remedies for getting rid of headaches -
- Exercise regularly. Do breathing exercises. Pranayam also help in getting rid of the headache.
- Reduce your salt intake. If the headache is due to high blood pressure, reducing salt intake will help. Drinking a glass of gourd juice also helps in controlling blood pressure.
- Drink four glasses of water empty stomach each morning. This helps in throwing the toxins out of the body. Constipation gets cures. If the headache is due to indigestion or gas, then drinking water will help cure it.
- Working on computer for long hours can cause stiff neck and shoulder and also headache. Take a few minutes break from work every hour. Keep your eyes closed and breathe deeply.
- Take 6 to 7 hours of sleep daily.