As a woman nears 45 to 50 years of age, she is confronted with menopause and pre menstrual syndrome or the menopause. For most women, the word menopause strikes fear, cause it brings with it mood swings, depression in some cases, weight gain, bone weakening, irritable behavior, excessive bleeding leading to lower level of hemoglobin , so on and so forth.
When menopause occurs, the ovaries stop functioning. It can be said that menopause has occurred only if a year passes with out the menstrual period. This brings an end to a woman’s ability to reproduce. Menopause brings with it many hormonal changes.
Following are the symptoms of an approaching Menopause:
- Infrequent Bleeding or excessive bleeding - The definite indicator is the menstrual cycle. There could be excessive bleeding. The bleeding may continue for a long time. The menstrual cycle becomes irregular. Instead of a monthly cycle, it could reappear in 15 days. In some women, the bleeding occurs in two or three months. The flow of the bleeding is less. The duration of bleeding may also decrease.
- Hot Flashes And Chills - A woman nearing menopause experiences slight hot flashes. Hot flashes could appear in any part of the body. It could spread to the areas close by. Hot flashes are very irritating in nature. It could last from a few seconds to several minutes. Chills do not occur in the pre menstrual syndrome. They occur when the menopause is in full swing.
- Dryness of vagina - Due to hormonal changes, the production of estrogen is greatly reduced. As a result, uterus may reduce a little in size. The natural lubrication of vagina does not happen. The vagina gets dried. There is loss of interest in sexual desires. Sex becomes painful because of lack of lubrication.
- Mood Swings - Most women pass through a phase of mood swing during menopause. This can be attributed to the change in hormones. A woman would feel emotions of anger, grief, insecure for no apparent reason.
- Weight Gain - The change in hormones also may lead to weight gain. Increase in cholesterol levels may also occur in some cases.
- Calcium Loss - During menopause, the body suddenly gets drained of calcium. The bones become brittle because of calcium lose. After menopause, there are more changes of women getting bone fractures and bone injuries. Hence it is recommended that women increase their calcium intake after the age of 35. Calcium is found in ample in milk and milk products, leafy vegetables and fruits like banana.
Precautions during menopause -
Most women dread menopause. This fear is more psychological in nature. Menopause brings with it an end to reproductive capacity and an end to youth. This scares the women most. First and foremost take menopause in a natural way. Life comes to a full circle. There is nothing to feel scared of.
Do not stress yourself. Take adequate rest. Sleep for 8 hours. This will relax your body. Drink more water. This will keep the body temperature normal and you will have less hot flash. In case of excessive bleeding for a long time, the uterus may be removed.