Many women experience mild to severe headache during their menstrual cycle. The hormonal changes cause headache during the menstrual cycle. Menstrual headaches can be got rid off by eating the right kind of food, nutrition and some hormonal drugs. With age, the menstrual headaches can become severe and more persistent as the woman comes closer to menopause.
The changes in hormonal levels occur just before the beginning of the menstrual cycle when the progesterone levels go down. Hormonal balance also change at the time of ovulation when the estrogen levels increase and during the menses when both estrogen and progesterone levels go down.
Preventing Menstrual Headaches Naturally -
The underlying problem with the menstrual headaches is the change in the levels of estrogen and progesterone. To get these hormones in to a balancing act, a healthy diet is recommended. A diet devoid of carbohydrates, refined sugar and processed food would help in balancing the hormones. In other words, consume more fruits and vegetables. Freshly made fruit juice without adding salt or sugar, or vegetable soups is also recommended.
Removal of toxins from the body is also important to get your hormones balances. For this, drink 4 glasses of water empty stomach. This will detoxify the body by improving bladder and bowel movements. Eating a banana every day also detoxifies the body as banana is a coolant. Banana is full of calcium, so it also helps in strengthening the bones. Try to avoid any perfumes or sprays that could cause headaches during your menstrual cycle. You may be allergic to certain fragrances. Make a note of it and avoid them.
Your diet should contain all the necessary nutrients necessary to maintain the balance between estrogen and progesterone levels. A healthy diet should comprise of food rich in various vitamins, necessary fatty acids, calcium, magnesium, iron etc, Fatty acids should be mistaken with deep fried and oily food. These are necessary to maintain the hormonal balance. Soy, fresh ground flax seed are also useful.
Listed below are some home remedies for cure of menstrual headaches:
- Add 2 -3 threads of saffron in 2 drops of pure ghee. Rub the ghee you’re your finger, so that the color and properties of saffron gets dissolved in the ghee. Remove the saffron strands. Apply one drop each in both the nostrils. Do this twice in a day for about 2 weeks.
- Eat one banana with milk every day.
- Eat at regular intervals. Do not keep long gap between two meals.
- Take adequate rest. The body and the mind need proper rest during your menstrual cycle.
- Rest in a dark, silent room. Avoid bright light and high decibel sounds.
- Dissolve half a tea spoon of dry ginger powder in 2 table spoons of water. Apply this paste on the forehead, while it is still Luke warm.
- Do deep breathing for relieving the body of stress. Do only light exercises. Avoid strenuous exercises during menstrual cycle.
- Do shavasan. Lie down with hands and legs spread slightly apart. Keep your eyes closed. Lie down for about 10 minutes. This is an excellent pain reliever.