Morning headache is a normal phenomenon for many people, irrespective of their age or sex. Morning headaches are generally subtle. The pain is not related to any nerve. Waking up to a headache could be the result of depression and anxiety. Many a times, people with depression or anxiety may not be able to get a sound sleep. When they wake up in the morning, they suffer from a headache due to lack of proper sleep.
Other diseases which may be causing morning headaches are brain tumors, sleep apnea, and high blood pressure. When the blood pressure is very high, the person will not be able to sleep properly. Persistent headaches need doctor’s intervention to find out the underlying cause of the headache.
Persons with chronic headache, is awakened in the wee hours of the morning due to pain in the head. It is generally observed that headaches are at their peak in the early mornings. Sometimes, when the dosage of certain pain relievers is reduces, it causes headache. Like wise, when a person addicted to tea or coffee stops consuming it, it can cause headaches for some time.
Consuming alcohol, sleeping very late at night, stress, both emotional and work related can lead to morning headaches. Hormonal changes in the body, any other underlying disease like common cold or flu, pain of any kind-dental treatment, over straining of the eyes, improper diet, fasting for many hours and exposure to high pollution levels can all lead to morning headaches.
Certain medicines can cause side effect. For example, some heart related drugs are known to cause headaches. Physical strain like neck or muscle strain can also cause head ache. If the headaches are persistent, then it is better to consult your doctor. There could be some underlying disease which is causing the headache. In case of children with persistent headaches, doctors will generally advise MRI or CT scan of the head or ask the parent to take the child for an eye check up.
To get rid of morning headaches:
- Go to bed early. Sleep for at least 7 hours every day.
- Drink a glass of Luke warm milk before going to bed.
- Drink lots of water and fluid through out the day. This helps in throwing away toxins from the body, and keeping constipation and indigestion at bay. Most of our health problems are related to an upset stomach. Drinking adequate amount of water and fluids keep the body hydrated and relieve morning headaches.
- Do not over strain your self. Engage in self relaxation techniques like listening to soft music before bed time, going for a walk, doing pranayam etc. These techniques help in de-stressing the body and mind and cures morning headache.
- Try to include a lot of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Avoid non vegetarian food as far as possible. Non vegetarian food is heavy to digest. It could lead to indigestion, constipation, is full of fat, and can create hormonal imbalance in the body. Go vegan.