The most common of all headaches is the pressure headache. The pain in a pressure headache starts from the neck, back, eyes, or various other muscle groups in the body. The pain is generally experienced continuously.
Causes of Pressure Headaches -
When there is change in the weather, the air pressure changes. This change in the air pressure brings about headache in certain people.
- When the air pressure changes, the oxygen percentage also change. This leads to a headache.
- When there is low oxygen level, the blood vessels pump more in order to get required level of oxygen. This causes exertion and results in headache.
- Headaches could also occur when the temperatures soar, in sultry climate, when the sky is cloudy, etc
- Change in weather can lead to change in chemical compounds of the body and can cause headaches and migraine.
- At high altitude, the oxygen level is low, this may trigger pressure headache.
- A very crowded place, for example a local train compartment in Mumbai, will have very less oxygen. This may cause suffocation and headache.
Make a note of following things -
- Effect of weather changes on your headache
- Tell your doctor about your headaches.
- Try alternative therapy
Home remedies for Pressure Headache:
- Take a walk in open air when you get a headache. Fresh air will provide you oxygen and the oxygen level in the body will become normal and give you relief from the pressure headache.
- Keep your eyes closed. Take 20 short breathes, 20 medium breathes and 40 long breathes. Repeat this cycle 3 times. Lie down for some time after doing this exercise. You may require a little practice to perform this exercise. Do not try this exercise, if you are suffering from vertigo.
- Take deep breathes for 3 minutes. Followed by kapal bhati pranayam for 5 minutes. Do anulom vilom pranayam for 5 minutes. Repeat the cycle 3 times. When we do kapal bhati pranyam, we throw away carbon dioxide from the body. When we do anulom vilom pranayam, the oxygen inhaled is supplied to all the parts of the body. Thus, the oxygen level in the body increases and relieves you of the pressure headache.
- Keep your eyes closed and relax for some time.
- Get adequate sleep. This will de-stress your mind and body and provide relief in the headache.
- Try aromatherapy for pressure headache. Take a few drops of eucalyptus oil and massage it on scalp, forehead and at the base of the skull. Get some help and get the eucalyptus oil be massaged on the back and behind the neck. Do not apply pressure will massaging.
- Pour a few drops of eucalyptus or peppermint oil in the steamer. Inhale this steam for about 5 minutes.
- Soak yourself in hot water bath for half an hour. Add a few drops of menthol, eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil to your bath water. After getting out of the bath, drink water or some fluid as you may feel dehydrated.