Some people have the habit of taking medicines at the slightest pretext. There is mild headache, pop goes the pill. There is a little strain to a muscle again, pop goes the pill. Over a period of time, excessive use of pain reliever cause rebound headache. When too much of analgesics are used to get rid of headaches, it causes rebound headaches.
Rebound headache occur daily and is very painful. It is one of the primary causes for chronic headache. Generally, people suffering from migraines or tension headache take medicines to relieve headache. When the medicines are used too frequently, it results in rebound headache. It starts as soon as the effect of pain reliever subsides.
Treatment of Rebound Headache:
The incidence of Rebound headache is common and is treatable. First and foremost, the patient has to stop the medications he has been taking for suppressing headaches. Consultation from a neurologist should be sought.
Preventive medicines are given to the patients to make the withdrawal from analgesics less painful. Any medicine should be stopped or continued only on the advice of the doctor.
Prevention of Rebound Headaches -
Any person suffering from migraine and tension headache has the potential danger to get rebound headache, if the patient is in the habit taking pain killers frequently. The patient may be advised preventive medications to be consumed regularly. Instead of taking preventive medicines as a precaution against rebound headaches, it is better to make some life style changes and get rid off all types of headaches.
These life style changes are beneficial for over all health and well being. These are:
- An old saying which holds its ground even today- Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. The best sleep is considered between 9.00 pm to 12.00 pm. In today’s fast life, it may be impossible to be in bed by 9.00, but at least sleep by 10.00 pm. Going to bed early will solve the problem of inadequate sleep.
- The person can get up early since the he has got adequate sleep.
- Start your day by drinking 4 glasses of water.
- The toxins in the body will be thrown out of the body. The bladder and bowel function will improve.
- Do deep breathing, kapal bhaati, anulom vilom pranayam are stress busters. Do deep breathing for 2 minutes, Kapal bhaati and anulom vilom for 15 minutes each. Yoga is free of cost and is the most effective relaxation technique.
- Have milk and light breakfast and start your day.
- Instead of snacks, eat fresh fruits.
- Eat 4 to 5 small meals in a day, instead of stuffing yourself at one time.
- Drink lots of water throughout the day.
- Have an early dinner. Keep a gap of at least 3 hours between dinner and bed time.
- Take a small walk after dinner.
- Eat vegetarian food as far as possible. Non vegetarian food can induce hormonal changes in the body and trigger headaches.