Sinuses are gaps filled with air surrounding nose, cheeks and eyes. Some times swelling occurs in the sinuses. This leads to a headache, which is known as Sinus headache. The pain is experienced in the head and the face.
The pain aggravates when the person bends or leans down. Sinus also aggravates in winter and in damp weather. Sinus headache may strike in the wee hours of morning.
Signs and Symptoms of Sinus Headaches -
Sinus headaches generally have these symptoms:
- Terrible pain in certain areas of the face or head.
- Severe pain is felt while bending forward.
Other symptoms that could be due to sinus are
- Sore throat or throat infection.
- Yellow or green discharge from your nose
- Nasal congestion
Sinus headaches can be caused when the sinus is blocked with mucus or when there is swelling in the sinus, known as sinusitis. Sinusitis could be the result of infection like common cold.
The function of the sinus is to throw the mucus out of the body and allow free flow of air in the nasal passage. When there is swelling in the sinuses, the nasal passage gets compressed. As a result, mucus cannot be thrown out of the body and the air cannot circulate freely.
Since the mucus is not thrown, a host of bacteria, viruses and fungus thrive in the sinus. The doctor will check nose to check if it is blocked. The doctor will press the area around the nose and eyes to if the skin appears soft.
In case of chronic sinusitis, the doctor may suggest an x-ray, or CT scan, or MRI.
Treatment of Sinus headaches:
- The doctor may prescribe antibiotics to cure sinus headache.
- Nasal sprays or drops can be used to clear nasal passages.
- Inhaling steam three to four times a day helps in curing sinus headache.
- Dissolve dry ginger powder in water. Warm this solution. Apply this solution when luke warm on forehead, on nose and on the cheeks below the eyes.
- Cinnamon powder dissolved in water and applied on forehead helps in relieving the headache.
- Avoid cold drinks and cold food.
- Get some good sleep. Sinus gets better with rest.
- Apply one drop of pure ghee in each nostril every day to get rid of sinus headache.
- Apply a drop of castor oil in each nostril every day.
- Practice anulom vilom pranayam for at least 20 minutes every day.
Seek medical help immediately if:
- The headache is persistent for more than 24 hours
- Chronic headaches after 50 years of age.
- If you feel weakened memory, confusion, blurred vision, blabbered speech, weakness in the limbs, unable to maintain balance etc.
- If you have fever, vomiting, nausea and stiffness in neck. These are the symptoms of meningitis. However, it may not always be true.
- Acute headache pertaining to one of the eyes along with reddening of the eye could be the result of glaucoma.