The air filled cavity around nose, eyes and cheeks are called sinus. When an inflammation occurs in the sinus, the nasal passage gets blocked and the mucus is not able to drain. This leads to breeding of viral, bacterial and fungal infections. This infection is called sinusitis. It cause headache which can be irritating and painful.
Various treatments are available to treat sinusitis:
The doctor may advise you to take antibiotics and suggest nasal spray or nasal drops to get relief from sinusitis.
Several home remedies are available to cure sinusitis:
- Drink lots of water during the day and before bed time. Water will dilute the mucus and allow it to drain fast.
- Inhale steam twice or thrice a day. Put a few drops of eucalyptus, pine or peppermint oil in the water.
- Take hot water bath or shower. Soak in hot water bath for half an hour. Add aroma oil in the bath water.
- Drink hot tea, coffee or soups for quick relief in sinus headaches.
- Apply a paste of dry ginger powder on forehead and on the nose. It may give a burning sensation, but will provide instant relief from sinus headaches.
- Apply a drop of pure ghee or castor oil in each nostril.
- Herbal tea made up of tulsi leaves, pudina, lemon grass and cardamom with little sugar can do wonders on sinus problem.
- Cinnamon paste applied to forehead will give relief from headache.
- Drink tea with ginger and mint.
- Take adequate rest. Lie down in a peaceful room.
- Avoid cold dessert, cold beverages
- Avoid stale food, processed food and refined sugars.
- Stop consuming alcohol and smoking
- Avoid cosmetics and hair oils with strong fragrances.
- Avoid going out in extreme weather conditions or to places of extreme weather,
- Avoid air travel. During air travel, there is change in the air pressure which may affect the middle ear.
- Avoid moving around in polluted area.
- Use humidifier to make your room moist.
- Eat fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin A. Mangoes, papaya, carrots, spinach are rich source of Vitamin A.
- Avoid milk and milk products as they increase mucus in the body.
- Avoid non vegetarian food. It may aggravate your problem.
- Avoid oily and deep fried foods. It may increase chest and throat congestion and aggravate sinus.
- Walk for a walk early morning to get fresh air.
Yoga and Sinus Treatment
- Do deep breathing or bhatrika pranayam for 5 minutes.
- Follow it with kapal bhati pranayam for 5 minutes.
- Do anulom vilom pranayam for 5 minutes.
- Repeat kapal bhati and anulom vilom pranayam twice.
Keep your eyes closed while doing pranayam
Doing Surya namaskar 16 times also helps in curing sinus. Do surya namaskar with breathing. Take deep breathe every time you stretch forward and exhale every time to stretch backward. Try to hold your posture and breathe at each step.
Homeopathic treatment is also useful and provides long term relief from sinusitis.