Stress or Tension-type headaches are the most common type of headache. It is experienced by majority of adults at some point of time. Though stress headache can occur to any one at any age, the incidence is more with women. Stress headaches start slowly and may get severe by noon.
Causes of Stress Headache -
Stress headache could occur due to a combination of reasons. It is not hereditary in nature. There is tightening of muscles behind the neck and head.
- Stress headache occur due to over work and physical and mental stress. The stress could be emotional, social, physiological or environmental.
- A single stressful incident can cause headache. If stress continues, than stress headache can lead to chronic headaches.
- Alcohol could also trigger stress headache
Symptoms of Stress Headache -
Stress headache are less severe as compared to the migraine headache. The duration of stress headache could range from 30 minutes to 24 hours. A pressure is felt on the head. The pain could be on either side of the head or it could be on both the sides of the head. Generally, the symptoms of stress headache include:
- Early morning headache
- Muscles feel weak
- Unable to sleep because of the pain.
- Lack of concentration
- Sometimes, mild dizziness might be experienced
You can take a pain killer to reliever headache. Sometimes, doctor may prescribe an antidepressant. However, it is not good to take a pain killer every time you can a headache. Frequent use of pain killers may cause rebound headache. Therefore, it is better to make some lifestyle changes and avoid headaches.
Precaution to avoid stress headache -
- Maintain a balanced life style. Sleep early and get up early. Get 7 to 8 hours of sound sleep.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Avoid taking caffeine products like tea or coffee at bed time. Drinking tea or coffee at night may not allow you to get sleep.
- Drink plenty of water through out the day. This keeps the body hydrated.
- Avoid taking stress at every small situation. Try to be cheerful and enjoy every moment of life. Take things easy.
- Do meditation and yoga for relaxation. Pranayam has proved as an effective stress buster. It does not involve any cost. Do deep breathing to relieve stress headache.
- Go for walks. Fresh air will relax your mind and body.
- Meet people. Conversation with others also reduces stress.
- Engage in some hobby or social activity to reduce stress.
Home Remedies for Stress Headache –
- Drink a hot cup of ginger and mint tea.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. They improve your immune system and keep diseases out of sight.
- Massage a little warm oil in to your scalp. Massage well using all the ten fingers.
- Lie down for some time with eyes closed.
- Press cool compresses on your forehead.
- Grate gourd. Wrap it in a kerchief and place it over your head. Do not try this remedy in case you have cold or bronchitis.