The most common of all headaches is the Stress headache. It occurs to almost 80% of the adults. It may occur periodically, say once in 15 days or so. Women are commonly affected by stress headache. There are several treatment options available to cure stress headaches.
Stress headache is caused by -
- Excessive physical, mental or emotional strain.
- Alcohol consumption, smoking
- Lack of sleep
Symptoms of Stress Headache –
- Lethargic feeling
- Pain in the head in morning
- Feels irritated
- Slight dizziness
Stress headache may last for about half an hour or it may persist for about 24 hours. In case the headache persists for more than 24 hours, it is better to consult a doctor to determine the underlying cause of the headache.
You can get rid of stress headache by taking a pain killer. In few cases, the doctor may suggest the use of antidepressants. Most of the time, stress headache may not require any medication. It is advisable not to take pain killers too often as it may induce rebound headache.
Simple life style changes can avoid stress headache -
- Sleep is the most important factor related to stress headache. Avoid late night parties. Sleep early. Set a time limit for going to bed and maintain it even on weekends. If you sleep too late on Fridays and Saturdays, it is more likely that you may not be able to sleep early on Sunday, and wake up with a stress headache the next day. Try to get at least 7 hours of sleep every day.
- Try to relax your mind and body. Deep breathing relaxes the mind and gives relief in stress headache.
- Do not take tension on the slightest pretext. Be cheerful. Take one step at a time. Understand the limitations of mid and body and be easy with yourself.
- Eat at regular intervals. Eat food that is easily digestible. Try to have an early dinner. Keep a gap of 3 to 4 hours between dinner and bed time.
- Drink ample water and fluids through out the day. It keeps the body hydrated and fresh.
- Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your food intake. This improves our immunity towards diseases.
You can try some home remedies for stress headache treatment –
- Drink a cup of hot tea made with ginger and mint.
- Dissolve a tea spoon of dried ginger powder in half a cup of water. Heat the solution and apply on the forehead while it is still warm. It gives burning sensation, but will give immediate relief.
- Prepare dough from wheat flour and water. Do not add salt or oil. Stick this dough on both the temples.
- Heat a little hair oil. Massage warm hair oil on the scalp. Massage in circular pattern using all the 10 fingers. Apply slight pressure while massaging. This improves blood circulation and relieves headache.
- Make a cup of tea with dried ginger powder, cinnamon, cloves and pepper. Add little sugar for test. Drink while it is hot.