Cluster headaches are often called suicide headache because of the pain it inflicts. There is severe pain on either side of the forehead, near the temples. Suicide headache is a rare disease. Less than 5% population suffers from suicide headache. It occurs more often in men than in females. It generally occurs in people in their late 20s.
Causes of Suicide Headaches –
- Biochemical, hormonal, and vascular changes can cause suicide headaches.
- Change in duration of the sun.
- Consumption of alcohol, tobacco, histamine.
- Physical, emotional or work related stress.
- Hypoxemia –wherein the oxygen in the blood level declines.
Symptoms of Suicide Headaches –
- Acute pain is experienced on either side of the head, near the temple. The pain may travel towards mouth and teeth.
- One eye turns red.
- Blocked and running
- Contraction of the pupil
Treatment of Suicide Headaches –
The patient may be given drugs like corticosteroids to prevent headache. Medicines like methyserigide may be given for short duration. However, it can cause serious side effects and should not be continued for long. The patient may be given oxygen to improve the oxygen level in the blood.
Many alternative therapies can be used to treat suicide headache -
- Yoga, Medidation & Exercise:
- Medidation reduces stress and relaxes the body. Exercise also keeps mind and body fit.
- Breathing exercises or pranayam is particularly useful to increase the oxygen level in the blood. Kapal bhaati pranayam throws away carbon dioxide from the body. Anulom vilom pranayam increases the oxygen supply and oxygen absorption in the blood. Try to practice both the pranayam for 15 minutes each, every day to get permanent relief from suicide headaches.
- Allergies: Try to find out if you are allergic to certain food and eliminate it from your diet.
- Increase the intake of Vitamin C if histamine is causing the headache.
Certain home remedies may be useful to treat suicide headaches –
- Drink 4 glasses of water every morning. This helps in throwing away toxins out the body and improves the level of oxygen in the blood.
- Eat lots of citrus fruits. This provides Vitamin C to the body. Headaches due to histamine will get cured.
- Go for morning walks. The fresh air will provide oxygen and you will feel relieved from the headache.
- Oil massage gives relief from the headache, though suicide headaches may not be cured by head massage.
- Apply a drop of castor oil or pure ghee in each nostril. It will clear the nose blockages.
- Stop consumption of alcohol and tobacco.
- Maintain your sleeping pattern even on weekends and holidays, so as not to disturb your biological clock.
- Maintain a diary and write down all that you are allergic to. Eliminate these items from your diet.
- Do not take caffeine products like tea and coffee at night. The caffeine may not allow you to sleep and disturb your biological cycle.
- Drink a glass of hot milk at night to get good sleep.
- Listen to light music or read a nice book to get sound sleep.