Tension headaches are commonly experienced by all, irrespective of age or sex. However, women experience it more often than men. Tension headache may begin early morning and may get worse by noon.
Causes of Stress Headaches –
- A tightening of muscles is felt behind the neck and end of skull.
- Tension headache occurs due to emotional, physical, mental or social stress.
- A single incident like a bad day in office or a fight at home can induce headache. If stressful event continues, then tension headache can become chronic headache.
- Alcohol and tobacco can induce tension headache
Symptoms of Tension Headache –
The severity of tension headache is quite less as compared to the migraine headache. The duration of stress headache could range from 30 minutes to 24 hours. A tightening pressure is experienced in the head and behind the neck.
Following are the symptoms of tension headache -
- Headache on waking up
- Body weakness
- Lack of sleep.
- Lethargic feeling
The headache does not disrupt you from your routine activity unlike migraine headaches. A pain killer may relieve the headache.
It is not advisable to take pills frequently. Try to make some changes in the life style to avoid tension headaches. Alternatively, you can go for some of the home remedies, mentioned here in.
Precautions for preventing tension headaches:
- Lead a regular life style. Maintain a time table of your routine and adhere to it strictly. Irregular life style pose many health related problems, headache could be just one of them. Try to sleep at least for 7 hours in the night. The sleep between 9.00pm to 12.00 pm. is considered the best sleep.
- Stop consuming alcohol and tobacco.
- Do not take tea or coffee at bed time. It may keep you awake for long hours.
- Drink lots of water through out the day. Drink 4 glasses of water every morning empty stomach. You can start with one glass and gradually increase the water intake. Drinking water empty stomach helps cleansing the body of toxins. It cures problems relate to constipation and indigestion.
- Enjoy every moment of life. Be happy and keep smiling.
- Yoga, meditation and walking help in relaxing mind and body. Deep breathing, anulom vilom pranayam help in eliminating stress and stress related headaches.
- Talking and sharing with people is another cost free technique to relieve stress.
- Read a book or listen to light music, watching comedy shows also relieves stress.
Home Remedies for Tension Headache –
- Knead dough of wheat flour without adding oil or salt. Apply it to both the sides of the temples.
- Stretch your body by raising your hands up wards. Stand on your toes and walk a few steps back wards and forwards. This relieves the neck and the head pain.
- Massaging does wonders in tension headache. Apply a little warm hair oil to your scalp and massage for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drink a cup of hot tea made with ginger and mint.