Types of Headache
Headache is a very common problem faced by almost everyone. More than thousand people suffer from headache each day. Some people suffer from mild headaches while some have severe headache. In fact the same person will sometimes experience a mild headache and other times experience a severe headache. In short it can be said that headaches are unpredictable. It can happen to anyone at any time of the day. Your daily life can get disturbed whenever you will have a headache. Depending on the frequency and causes the headaches can be classified into various categories. Following are the types of headaches, some of which can be life threatening also.
Types of Headaches -
- On the basis of Frequency –
- Episodic Headaches – Such headaches can last from thirty minutes to one week. These headaches are bilateral and can recur within 15 days.
- Chronic Headaches – For more than half days of your months will go in such kind of pain. Such types of headaches will cause pain in one or either side of the head.
- On the basis of Severity –
- Primary Headaches – Such headaches are not harmful, as they don’t indicate any serious underlying disorder.
- Secondary Headaches – This type of headaches can indicate some underlying disorder like sinusitis, hypertension, brain tumor, etc.
- On the basis of Causes –
- Tension Headaches – Such type of headaches are caused due to stress and hence they are also known as stress headaches. It is a very common type of headache and about 30 to 40 percent adults get such kind of headaches. Such headaches can be primary or secondary and the main cause behind such headaches is the tension. Any kind of physical, emotional pain and depression can lead to such type of headaches.
- Cluster Headaches – These are very painful and you may get such headaches up to four times a day. In this type of headaches the cluster period can be as large as few months. Smoking, lack of sleep and strain are responsible for causing this type of headaches. These headaches are very painful and hence called as suicidal headaches.
- Sinus Headaches – In this type of headache you will get immense pain in the forehead and areas near the eyes and the cheeks. It will also cause nasal congestion and you may get pain in the bridge over the nose. It is a very uncomfortable situation and it will make you sick.
- Organic Headaches – Due to presence of some kind of ailment this type of headaches can begin. This kind of headaches also indicates the presence of any serious condition like, head injury, brain tumors, meningitis, etc.
- Hormonal Headaches – This type of headaches are similar to that of migraines and are mainly found in women due to fluctuations in the sex hormones. Women who take oral contraceptives have more chances of getting these headaches. Pregnancy, menstruation, menopause and premenstrual syndromes are some of the common periods when women have chances of getting this type of headaches.