Vascular headache occurs when the blood vessels are inflamed and causes pain. The term vascular headache is no longer in use. The blood vessels in the head are contained in the tissues surrounding the skull. The blood vessels swell and cause pain and irritation.
There are two primary types of vascular headaches:
- Toxic Headache
- Cluster Headache
There are other types of vascular headache, the incidence of which is not common.
- Toxic Headache - Toxic headache occurs as a result of high fever. High fever could be due to other ailments like pneumonia, mumps, tonsillitis and measles. It gives a feeling as if some chemical has entered the body.
- Cluster headache - Cluster headache occurs and recurs frequently. It could last for a few hours and may occur again. Cluster headache could occur due to various reasons like high blood pressure, reduced level of oxygen in the blood etc
Migraine too is a type of vascular headache. It is caused by irregularity of blood vessels. The common symptoms of migraine are
- Vomiting and Nausea
- Acute pain on either on one side or both side of the head.
- Blurred vision
- The pain aggravates in bright light and sound.
The symptoms of one headache may be similar to any other type of headache. It is better to seek advice of your doctor before taking any medicines for vascular headache. The doctor would decide the treatment for vascular headaches based on
- The age, general health, and medical history of the patient.
- The extent of the disease.
- Allergy to certain medicines
Vascular headaches can be treated by -
- Medicines or drugs
- Biofeedback training
- Reducing stress
- Eliminating allergy causing items from the diet
- Regular exercise such as brisk walking, breathing exercises, swimming
- Apply cold compresses on the fore head.
Drug therapy and vascular headaches -
Vascular headaches can be treated through medicines:
- Preventive medicines which blocks the attack before it occurs
- Medicines to provide relief in the headache.
Medications for headache relief -
- Based on the doctor’s advice, medicines may include:
- Pain killers
- Prescription drugs like anti depressants
- Relaxing mind and body to get rid of Vascular headaches:
- Pranayam is an effective technique to relax mind and body.
Follow the steps mentioned below for relieving stress:
- Inhale and exhale deeply for three minutes.
- To do kapaal bhaati pranayam- Contract the stomach muscles and breathe out through nose. Very little air is inhaled. Do one contraction per second. Do this for 5 minutes. When we breathe out, the carbon dioxide is released from the body.
- Anulom Vilom Pranayam: Close right nostril with thumb. Inhale through left nostril. Then, close the left nostril, exhale through right nostril. Complete the cycle by breathing in through right nostril and exhaling through left nostril. One cycle should take about 5 seconds. Do it for 5 minutes. By doing so, we inhale oxygen and the oxygen is supplied through out the body and it absorbs well in the body.
- Do three rounds of kapaal bhaati pranayam and anulom vilom pranayam.