Optic neuritis is an eye disorder. The optic nerve gets inflamed and could result in total or partial blindness. It is also called retrobular neuritis. Optic neuritis, if not treated could progress to multiple sclerosis.
Causes of Optic Neuritis –
- The optic nerve is surrounded by myelin sheath. If this sheath is damaged, there could be swelling in the optic nerve and could lead to optic neuritis.
- As a result of multiple sclerosis
- Due to herpes zoster or any other viral or bacterial infection
- Due to weak immune system
- Vasculitis or swelling of the blood vessels
- Reaction of certion drugs like ethambutol and tuberculosis drugs
Symptoms of Optic Neuritis –
- There is partial or complete blindness.
- Unclear vision
- Pain during movement of the eye
- Color blindness in the affected eye. The other eye can identify the colors normally.
Treatments For Optic Neuritis –
Optic Neuritis is temporary in most of the cases. The eye starts functioning normally with in a period of 8 to 10 weeks. There could be no damage at all. However, in few cases, optic neuritis could lead to blindness. Giving corticosteroids to the patient intravenously cures optic Neuritis. It hastens the process of healing of the optic nerves. Corticosteriods are known to have serious side effects when administered orally. Optic Neuritis occurs generally between the ages of 18 to 45 years. The age between 30 to 35 years is considered as peak time for this disease. Its incidence is more in females as compared to males.
Home Remedy for Optic Neuritis –
- A few drops of honey mixed in a glass of soya bean milk can help in curing optic neuritis. Continue to drink this milk for about 3 to 4 months for complete recovery.
- Soya bean should be soaked overnight. Peel and grind the soya bean, the next day. Add water into it and bring it to boil. Strain and allow it to cool.
- Take one tablespoon of barley. Add a glass of water and bring it to boil. Allow it to cool. Strain the barley water. Take one glass of buttermilk. And a few drop of limejuice and the barley water. Drink 2 glasses everyday for speedy recovery.
- The eyes get tired very quickly when affected with optic neuritis. Give rest to the eyes by taking break from work for a few minutes and keep your eyes closed.
- Avoid reading continuously. Read in well-illuminated room only.
- In case you are working continuously on computer, increase the screen resolution to reduce the strain to the eyes.
- Apply warm chamomile tea bag to both the eyes. It helps in reducing the pain and stress of the eye.
- Use a good quality of sunglasses to protect your eyes, both when inside and outside. This will help protecting the eyes from direct light.
- Be gentle with your eyes.
- Consult your doctor immediately, in case Optic Neuritis affects you. It may lead to multiple sclerosis.