A rash in the upper portion of the small intestine or in the stomach lining is called peptic ulcer. Common symptom of peptic ulcer is a burning sensation stomach combined with pain. The pain may continue for period of time. The patient experiences more discomfort on empty stomach and feel better after consuming food. Initially, the patient may ignore the symptoms because they are very much similar to that of acidity. However, peptic ulcer is an extension of hyper acidity. The food that we eat is digested with the help of acids in our stomach. When this acid causes soar in the lining of the stomach, peptic ulcer occurs.
Peptic ulcer can occur due to a variety of reasons. It can occur due to -
- A bacterium named Helicobacter pylori.
- Extended use of certain anti-inflammatory medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen.
- Mental Stress can lead to increase in the release of acids
- Spicy foods can worsen the ulcer, though it may not lead to an ulcer.
- Medicines given after angioplasty can lead to ulcer.
If left untreated the peptic ulcers will worsen. Doctors may prescribe medicines that decrease the production of stomach acids or antibiotics may be given to wipe off the bacteria causing the ulcer. When the ulcers do not heal even after the treatment, surgery is undertaken.
Symptoms of Peptic Ulcer –
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Change in the color of stool. The color may change to black if blood passes in the stool.
- Reduction in hemoglobin level.
- Traces of blood in vomits
- Foul odor in stool.
- Stomach pain accompanied with a burning sensation.
Home remedies for Peptic Ulcer -
- Banana - Banana is a natural coolant. It reduces acids and gas in the body. It coats the soared lining of the stomach. It is also easily digested. Patients with severe ulcers can find relief on consuming milk with banana, three to four times a day.
- Wood Apple or bael leaves - Soak around 15 gm of wood apple or bael leaves in water. Leave it overnight. Strain the leaves and drink the water empty stomach.
- Gourd - Gourd juice if taken daily provides excellent remedy for ulcers. It is a natural coolant. The juice should be made along with the skin. For taste, slight salt and cumin seed powder can be added to the juice.
- Limejuice – Limejuice when mixed in water helps reducing acids in the body.
- Drumstick leaves - Drumstick leaves taken with yogurt also helps curing peptic ulcer.
- Fresh curds – Take curd with a little salt and cumin seed powder relieves peptic ulcer.
- Buttermilk - Buttermilk taken with cumin seed powder and a little salt helps in washing away the acids of the body.
- Drink lots of water. The acids in the body will be washed away. Eat fresh fruits. Avoid oily food. Avoid spicy and very hot food.
- Exercise regularly. Try to be cheerful. Engage in a hobby of your liking to reduce stress. Do pranayam.