Home Remedies For Scurvy
Scurvy is a common disease among children and many times people mistake it with rheumatism. This condition happens due to the deficiency of ascorbic acid that is vitamin C. This disease is also known by other names such as Cheadle's disease, Barlow's disease and Moeller's disease.
Those who eat less vegetables and fresh fruits are under the risk of getting scurvy. Those children who don’t get enough of vitamin C are also under the risk of getting this disease. The common symptoms of scurvy are joint pains, liver spots, bleeding of gums, and weakness of the body and inability of the body to heal the wounds. There are home remedies for scurvy and you can easily get relief from the pain.
Home remedies for Scurvy:
- As this condition is a result of deficiency of vitamin C, you will need to increase your intake of such food items that will be rich source of vitamin C. Indian gooseberry is one such fruit, which is rich source of vitamin C. Eating Indian gooseberry is highly beneficial in the treatment of scurvy. You can also use powder of dry Indian gooseberry and add sugar in it and have it one teaspoon three times in a day. It is better if you will have it with milk.
- Lime and lemon both are also rich source of vitamin C. Drink plenty of limejuice and lemon water. Take one glass of water and add juice of one lemon or lime into it. Add honey if needed and have it. Drink this daily till the time the deficiency of vitamin C completely goes.
- Aamchur is also very effective in the treatment of scurvy. It is a spice that is commonly used in Indian houses while preparing food. For making aamchur, you will need to skin the mangoes and stone them and cut into pieces. Then dry these pieces in sunlight for few days. Then grind it in mixture grinder and make powder of it. This powder is very rich source of vitamin C. You can either have this powder as it is or you can put it while cooking food. This is one of the very effective home remedies for scurvy.
- Scurvy is a common disease in most of the Europe countries. The deficiency of vitamin C is the main cause behind getting this condition. Potato is also very good source of vitamin C. Eating potatoes will be highly beneficial in getting fast cure from scurvy.
- The leaves of the Jaundice berry herb have anti-scurvy property and hence are highly beneficial in the treatment of scurvy. In half-liter water add about 15 gram of the leaves of this herb and boil it till it reduces to one-third of its original volume. You can have this decoction two times a day. Drinking the juice of jaundice berry is also effective cure for scurvy.
- If infants will not get enough of mother's milk, then there is high chance of the baby getting scurvy. Hence mother's milk is must for newborn baby. Breast-fed your child as long as you can. Mother's milk has so many nutrients that there is no real substitute for it.