Pregnancy And Yoga
Yoga is very beneficial during pregnancy, as it helps you learn the correct way of breathing and thus helps you to relax. Pregnancy and yoga are inseparable parts of for having healthy pregnancy. Yoga can prepare you for the physical demands of pregnancy like labor, birth and breastfeeding. Yoga will give your body and mind soothing feeling. It is also beneficial in reducing the physical and metal stress. That is the reason why there are so many yoga classes that have prenatal yoga class, where pregnant women learn to control their physical and mental behavior.
But as you know in pregnancy you have to take care of your body so that no harm can be caused to you and the developing baby. Hence there are certain precautions that you will need to take if you want to have good equation between pregnancy and yoga.
- If you are into yoga right from before you pregnancy then it is very necessary to tell your yoga instructor that you are pregnant, so that your instructor will shift you to prenatal yoga.
- Yoga involves many poses (asanas) that you are supposed to do on your back. But after the first trimester, you should avoid doing such poses, as it can reduce the blood flow to the uterus.
- Avoid all those poses that need you to stretch your abdominal too much. This way you can prevent yourself from getting any kind of injuries.
- The yoga room should not be very hot or else it can cause certain damage to the developing fetus.
- All the yoga poses that ask you to bend should be done carefully. In fact try these poses only when your instructor is near you.
- Try to do the poses very slowly, in which you are supposed to twist your body. This way more pressure will not be put on your abdominal.
- In case your body is not finding it comfortable to do the yoga poses, then don’t do them. Ask your instructor to give you simple poses that will make you comfortable.
Here are the names of some poses that are safe to do during pregnancy -
- Cat- Cow
- Butterfly Stretch
- Side Angle Pose
- Cobra – only in the first trimester
- Seating and bending forward pose.
- Standing and bending forward pose
- Triangle Pose
There are certain yoga poses, which are not good ruing pregnancy and hence you should avoid them –
- Camel pose
- Balancing on the leg poses
- Bowing upward poses
Thus pregnancy and yoga can go hand in hand without any doubt but precaution is necessary. During pregnancy your body need pampering and you can pamper it with the help of simple yoga poses. But avoid going for complicated and difficult yoga asanas. In case you were never into yoga, you can start doing yoga now. You can join any prenatal yoga class in your area. But make sure that the yoga class has proper instructors. Joining any yoga class where staff is untrained can be really dangerous.