Pregnancy Week 38
In pregnancy week 38, your baby is 7 pounds in weight and about 21 inches in length. Now the length of the baby will not increase and it will remain 21 inches till the time the baby comes in this world. But baby will gain weight with each passing day. After your baby comes in this world, you doctor will perform Apgar test on it. This test is done to know the overall condition of your baby and it is done just after the birth of your baby. This test is really helpful in knowing the health of the baby and also helps doctor detect any abnormalities present in the baby. This test is done just after one minute of the birth and again it s done after five minutes of the birth.
In Apgar score your doctor and nurse will note down certain things about your baby like
- Your babies respiration – whether it is occurring properly or not.
- Your baby's colon color – It should be bluish pink in color.
- Your baby's heartbeat rate.
- Your baby's reflex actions.
- Your baby's muscle tone.
The test that is done after one minute of the birth of your baby indicates whether your baby has handled the delivery process easily or not. In case the score is high then it means your baby will have no obstacles and can do well without any kind of medical observations. But a low score will force your doctor to keep the baby under medical observation. The doctors will not give you discharge form the hospital until they feel that the baby is fine and can do without any medical observation. The test that is done after five minutes indicates whether baby is adjusting fine to the new environment outside your womb.
In this test your baby will be given scores as follows –
- For a strong cry, your baby will get 2 points, for weak cry it will get 1 points and for no crying, your baby will get 0 points.
- For the proper pink colon color, your baby gets 2 points and for slight pink color with blue arms or legs, your baby will get 1 point and for blue and pale color colon, your baby will get 0 point.
- For hear rate more than 100 beats per minute, your baby will get 2 points, for heart rate under 100, your baby will get 1 point and for no hear rate, your baby will get 0 points.
- For reflexes- For loud cry during the test, baby will get 2 points, for little crying during test, baby will get 1 point and for not making any noise during the test, your baby will get 0 point.
- For strong muscle movements, your baby will get 2 points, for small movement if the limbs, baby will get 1 point and for no movements, your baby will get 0 points.
In pregnancy week 38, your growth will be constant and you will be near about the same like the week before. You may find that your belly is not that bigger, as the baby gets dropped in pelvis in this week. In pregnancy week 38, you should prepare your hospital bag and keep it handy, as any time you will have to rush to the hospital. There are many things that you will need to pack I your hospital bag.