Twin Pregnancy Complications
When you go to your gynecologist for check-up and he or she tells you that you are carrying twins, then along with joy and happiness, you think about the twin pregnancy complications. Twin pregnancy is detected before the delivery through ultrasound or blood tests. As soon as you come to know that you are carrying twins you should take good care of you and your unborn babies.
The normal symptoms of pregnancy like nausea, vomiting, heartburn, fatigue and insomnia will show in you also but these symptoms will also intensify as you are carrying twins. Your most of the time will go in meeting your doctors and doing regular check ups. Your food will be planned so that your body gains required weight. There will be lots of restrictions on your traveling, working and even regular exercising. So in short you can guess that there are quite a lot twin pregnancy complications.
Twin pregnancy complications -
- You may have pre-term labor, as twin pregnancy the due date comes in between 37th week to 39th week. Hence the normal 38 to 42 weeks pregnancy term will not happen with you, you will deliver much before it.
- Due to pre-term labor, there are high chances that your babies may not be developed properly. The babies will be low in birth weight, have problem in breathing, learning disabilities, underdeveloped organs and also have problem with digestive system.
- If you are carrying twins, then your chances of getting high blood pressure are more. There are various things that you will need to do to control your blood pressure levels. Your doctor will take maximum care to prevent you and your babies from developing any kind of serious complications.
- Gestational diabetes is very common thing to happen to women when they are pregnant. But those pregnant women who are carrying twins are more prone to getting gestational diabetes. This condition can create several problems in the babies.
- In many cases due to in proper supply of blood one baby might grow big while other will be too little.
- The chances of normal delivery are very rare in case of pregnant women carrying twins. Pregnant women carrying twins generally have C-section delivery and this is more so if the babies are not in head down position.
- Miscarriage is also very serious problem that can happen to any pregnant women. The rate of miscarriage is higher in the first three months of the pregnancy. In miscarriage the pregnancy is lost before the 20th week of the pregnancy. No matter how many babies you are carrying there are 20% chances of you having a miscarriage. But the risk of miscarriage is definitely more in twin pregnancy and multiple pregnancy. The common symptoms of miscarriage are stomachache and bleeding.
These are the complications that can arise in twin pregnancy. But it can also happen with women carrying single baby. The difference here is your chances of getting these pregnancy complications increases when you carry twins. But with proper care you can just deliver healthy babies without getting into any kind of twin pregnancy complications.