In America out of hundred pregnant women, three women carry twins or triplets. The rates of twin pregnancy and triplet pregnancy vary all over the world. Just imagine you are expecting one new member to enter your family and you discover in your routine check up that you are carrying twins. Think how much joy you will feel but there will be different doubts that will gather in your mind. But rather than getting worried and loosing your health, you should start taking double care of you, so that you can handle both your babies once they open their eyes in this world.
Many women are getting pregnant when they are in thirties and above that age. In this age group women undergo several hormonal changes and there are more chances of more than one egg getting released at one time. This increases their chances of conceiving twins. Many women could not conceive due to their age, and then they undergo various treatments like in vitro fertilization to conceive. This treatment can also be responsible for causing twin pregnancy and multiple pregnancies.
The un-identical twins are formed when two different sperms fertilize two separate eggs. In this case each child will have its own placenta and amniotic sac. The gender of these twins can be anything. Either they will be two boys, two girls or one boy and one girl. The looks of these twins will be completely different. But identical twins occur when the single fertilized egg splits into two. In this case the twins will have to share the placenta but they have separate amniotic sac. In this case the babies will look alike. These identical twins are also called as conjoined twins. So in a way twin pregnancy is like a big magical play.
How is twin pregnancy is diagnosed?
If the uterus is larger than normal and if the gynecologist hears more than one heartbeat and also the reports of the blood tests suggest twin pregnancy, then the twin pregnancy gets diagnosed. This generally gets done before the delivery date. Ultrasound repots also clearly indicate in case you are having twin pregnancy condition.
There are certain things that you can expect from twin pregnancy.
- The common pregnancy symptoms like nausea, vomiting, heartburn, fatigue, shortness of breath and abdominal pain all will be there and you can expect all this with an increased intensity.
- You will need to visit your gynecologist more than often. This way the gynecologist will get to keep track record of the babies' growth and development. There will be several ultrasound check ups. Monthly two times you will need to visit your doctor with a gap of two weeks.
- You will gain weight fast and you can ask your doctor how much weight gain you would have. You can then workout a proper plan with your health care provider.
- You will need to eat right, so that your body gets folic acid, calcium, iron, protein, and other nutrients.
- You will also need to take good care of yourself and limit your activities like work, travel and exercise, as your pregnancy will progress. Your doctor will be able to guide you on this properly.