Best natural remedies to treat colitis
Colitis or ulcerative colitis is a disease that occurs in colon, a part of large intestine that is responsible for storing and collecting waste products after digestion. Then it pushes this undigested food to anus for elimination. So, it's important to eat healthy food for maintaining a healthy body. This disease causes inflammation and severe pain in colon. Various infections, poor supply of blood, stressed lifestyle, constipation, unhealthy diet and indigestion are the major causes of colitis. There are different home remedies to cure colitis effectively: -
- Diet plays a significant role in treating various health problems. Liquid diet is the best home remedy to cure colitis as fluids are easy to digest and pass directly and therefore, nothing will be passed through colon. So, fluids provide rest to colon.
- Consumption of good amount of water is important for colitis. Sufficient fluids help to maintain a balance in the body and prevent dehydration. Dehydration is responsible for various health ailments like cramping, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Buttermilk and Coconut water are energetic fluids to cure such health ailments.
- Avoid those food items that cause certain allergies. Intake of such food items is the main reason for colitis. So, one should take proper care before consuming any milk product, gluten, chocolates, corns etc. Fruits like bananas and apple are beneficial for colitis patients. Banana is good for bowel movement and is recommended by the doctors to deal with various stomach problems. Apple is highly rich in iron and is useful for regaining body strength. Ripe papaya is also helpful to cure ulcerative colitis.
- Changing dietary habits is one of the easiest ways to treat colitis. In order to prevent swelling and sores, one's diet should contain excess fibers and low sugars and fats. However, fatty acids or fish oil provide great relief from abdominal pain; so, these can be added in the diet but only in a small amount. People suffering from colitis should take green leafy vegetables in their diet.
- Curd with boiled rice is one of the effective remedy to get relief from abdominal pain.
- One can make use of various herbs as natural treatment to overcome colitis. Boswellia, licorice, slippery elm and chamomile are the best herbs to calm down inflammation and help to stop ulcerative colitis. Aloe Vera is an anti-inflammatory herb which is used to get relief from various pains and helps in healing sores and burns. Larch is the herb that increases the growth of good bacteria in intestine. This will keep the immune system healthy.
- Grind some kefir seeds and mix in a cup of goat milk. This nourishing drink is very beneficial to treat such intestinal problems. Consuming fangocur clay drink is very effective for colitis.
If looking for the efficient treatment of colitis, then go for these home remedies. These remedies are highly useful in maintaining and controlling ulcerative colitis. However, in some severe illness, one should contact a doctor before trying these remedies.