Anulom Vilom Pranayam
Pranayam comprises a class of breathing exercises, which when practiced as a controlled breathing it brings about balance in body and mind. Therefore Anulom pranayam is practiced as follows;
- Sit in any comfortable balanced meditative pose as the Sukhasana or the Vajrasana. Those who are unable to sit down can sit on a chair and do the breathing exercises. However sitting down in a proper yogic posture is most beneficial.
- Left hand is to be kept on the left knee and the right hand on the bridge of the nose and the 4th and the middle fingers on the left side of the nose.
- Folding your index and middle fingers. Do not twist your nose; only press it on the bony region to the control breathing.
- Now begin to first exhale through left nostril, and then inhale through the same, by closing the right nostril. Then exhale through the right nostril and lastly exhale through the left nostril.
The benefits of Anulom Vilom are:
- Due to increased oxygen intake during this pranayam exercise, one feels clear headed and calm.
- Regular practice helps in relieving stress, cold, mild fevers, eye and ear problems, etc.
- This is even found to be in migraine, chronic sinus problems, blockages in the arteries of the heart are removed, and blood circulation is also improved.
- It also helps to change the thoughts in your mind from negative to positive.
- But it is only the regular practice of this pranayam for at least 10-15 minutes twice a day that provides you with the most of the benefits.
- This even provides benefit in obesity, constipation, gastric, acidity, hepatitis B, diabetes, gastric problems, allergic problems, asthma, snoring, concentration, and even cancer and AIDS.
- This even benefits in cardiovascular disorders, high BP, heart blockage, arthritis, for the stretching of cartilage, ligaments, Parkinson, paralysis, migraine pain, depression, asthma, allergy, and sinus.
- Regular practice of this Pranayam has the capacity of cleansing all your innumerable Nadis, which makes the body healthy lustrous and strong.
- This is also very beneficial in most of the diseases occurring due to the disturbance of ‘Vata Dosha’ like rheumatism, gout, diseases pertaining to urinary and reproductive organs are cured.
Precautionary measures that are to be followed in Anulom Vilom Pranayam are:
- When breathing you must breathe into your lungs and not your stomach.
- No organs in the stomach should not be filled with air.
- Must be performed slowly whenever done.
- While performing this asana you must be in a relaxed posture and should not stress out.