This asana is also known as the Cock pose, and can be performed as follows:
- Sit on the ground with your head and spine erect. Now extend your legs forwards such that your knees and heels are placed together. With the help of your hands, place your right foot on the left thigh and then similarly the left foot on the right thigh.
- Move your arms through the gaps between your calves and your thighs close to the knees so as to place your palms firmly on the ground.
- Breathe out, and smoothly raise your body above ground level so that your entire body weight is balanced on your palms and your legs are nearly at the elbow level. And then continue to breathing normally.
- Remain in this final posture for 5-10 seconds. And you can also increase the duration of being in this posture with time.
- At very early stages of performing this asana you might feel trembling sensations in your hands. But when practiced regularly on a daily basis this weakness is easily overcome.
Therefore the benefits of this asana are as follows:
- Helps in the strengthening of the joints as the wrists, elbows and shoulders.
- This also brings about the toning as well as the development of the muscles.
- This helps in the improvement of the digestive system and even improvement in the working of the intestinal system.
- It increases the balance in the body.
- This asana is very beneficial for women in overcoming the hip pain and discomfort from menstruation.
Various precautionary measures that must be followed while performing this asana are:
- Overweight or obese individuals should not try to practice this posture.
- Individuals suffering from any kind of wrist, arm or an elbow injury should avoid doing so.
- Your back while performing this asana must be straight enough.