Savasana (Shavasana, Sarvasana, Mrtasana, Corpse Pose (relaxation)
Where various yogic poses help in the attainment of strength and stability in the body, mind and soul the Shavasana helps in relaxing the body as well as the mind.
Therefore this asana can be performed in following way:
- Lie down flat on the floor with your body in a straight line. Facing towards the ceiling. Relax your arms by the side and your palms facing upwards.
- Now close your eyes.
- Place your feet hips width apart.
- Relax your lower back, push your shoulders down from the ears and stretch out the back of your neck.
- Soften and relax your facial muscles. Also relax your throat and the front of your neck. Swallow a few times and then rest your tongue behind the teeth’s loosely. With your chin pointing towards the feet.
- Relax the pelvis, abdomen and the diaphragm. Open and expand your ribs and the front of the chest. Spread your collar bones to the sides and feel the front of your chest open up.
- Relax your entire back on the floor, letting its weight to be supported by the floor. Making the body as much still and as much motionless.
- Now focus your attention on breathe. And breathe through the nostrils and let your breathing to slow down and become quiet.
- With each breathe let the back of the body relax deeper onto the floor, releasing and letting go of any physical, mental and emotional tensions.
The benefits of this asana are:
- It helps in the relaxation of the whole body.
- Helps in releasing out the muscular tension.
- Brings calmness in the nervous system.
- Also benefits in various heart problems.
Further even if your body is uncomfortable lying with your legs outstretched or if you have backache or back problems, bend the knees up and place the soles of the feet close towards the buttocks, feet with hips width apart and toes pointing forwards. And relax the lower back on the floor.