Sidhasana (Muktasana, Guptasana, Perfect Pose)
This asana is also known as the as the Muktasana, Guptasana or the perfect pose. This asana can be performed as follows;
- First sit in Dandasana then, spread your legs slightly. Bend the left knee and slide the left heel into the groin. Then release the left knee onto the floor, rotating from the hip joint. Ideally sitting the heel into the area between the genitals and the anus. So that the heel touches the perineum.
- Now bend your right knee and place the right foot on top of the left foot. Release the right knee onto the floor, rotating from the hip joint. Place the right ankle on top of the left ankle and tuck the right foot between the left calf and hamstrings.
- Adjust the body until it is comfortable and the pressure of the heel is firmly applied. Ankle bones should be touching and the heels.
- Now try to press the pubis with the top heel, directly above the genitals.
- Place the hands in Gyana Mudra: lightly touching the thumb and forefinger of each hand, and extend the other three fingers. Rest the hands on the knees, palms facing upwards.
- Breathe smoothly and naturally. As you hold the pose.
- Stay in this pose and recite the mantra for as long as desired. The positions of the feet should be switched on alternate days or sittings. As a way of maintaining equilibrium, sit with the right foot on top at the beginning of the class and the left foot on top at the end.
- To exit out or too come out of this pose, slide the right foot forward off the left foot, straighten the right leg and do the same with the left leg, returning back into Dandasana.
- During all these steps the spine must be kept erect.
The benefits of this pose are;
- This asana helps to direct the energy from the lower psychic centers upwards to the spine. Thus producing a stimulus to the brain and calming the entire nervous system.
- Also helps in the redirection of the circulating blood to the lower spine and the abdomen, toning up the lumbar region of the spine, the pelvis, and the abdominal organs and balancing the reproductive system.
- It even helps in controlling high blood pressure.
- Helps in stabilizing the sexual energy because of the position of the feet with respect to the genitals.
- Helps in calming and producing clarity in the mind.
- Even helps in the improvement of memory.
Also certain precautionary measures that are to be followed while performing this asana are:
- Should not be practiced by those suffering from sciatica.
- Should not be practiced by individuals who are maintaining a sexual relationship since this asana is practiced when Bhramchariya is to be taken up.