Yoga asanas when practiced regularly improve health and posture of body in addition to bring stability in mind so that a person gets on the pathway to meditation and spirituality.
Therefore this asana can be performed as follows:
- Stand up in Tadasana or the Mountain Pose, the most basic standing pose.
- Bend your right knee, take your right feet and place your sole high up against the inner left thigh. Now try reaching out to the crotch with right heel and push your heel towards the left thigh and right toe pointing towards the floor. And the right knee must be extended to the side. Now you can easily feel the stretch in the right thigh with the hips opening up.
- Now keeping your left leg straight, pull your kneecap upwards.
- Breathe in, now raise your arms out by the sides to the shoulders level, and palms facing upwards. Now breathe out slowly.
- Breathe in, raise your arms straight up above your head and bring your palms together and breathe out.
- Slowly stretch and extend your body upwards from the left foot with fingers so as you are standing on your finger tips, lifting and opening out at the front of body. Hold and breathe normally in this posture.
- Now lower your arms by your sides, release right foot and replace it on the floor besides the left foot.
- Now repeat the posture on the other side too.
- Breathing should be deep and long so that when you extend you can fill up your lungs fully with air or prana as much as possible.
Benefits of practicing Vrksasana are:
- Helps in promoting the body to attain a good posture.
- Aids in increasing concentration.
- Improves the balance and co-ordination in the body.
- Provides strength to the leg muscles.
- Helps in stretching of the vertebral column.
- Brings about the straightening of the spinal vertebrae too. Since when you make an effort to pull yourself upwards. The spine is stretched to its fullest and in case due to our improper sitting postures our spine to tends to attain a wrong shape. So when we regularly practice this asana it helps in the straightening of these improper bends etc.
- It even brings about relaxation of the spinal muscles and the back whether lower or upper.
- Helps in stretching of fascia of legs.
But following precautionary measures must be kept in mind when performing this asana;
- Don not come out of the posture quickly. Perform this asana slowly and also when coming out of this asana it should be done as slowly as possible.
- Care must be taken in case of knee or ankle problems.
- Approach with proper care if you suffer from vertigo etc. in such cases you can use the wall as support.
- Concentrate on a fixed spot on the floor in front of you to help you balance.